Patrolman Jackson was electrocuted when he attempted to move a downed arc lamp.
Patrolman Jackson had just gone off-duty and was walking home when he noticed that the lamp was down and in a dangerous position. Patrolman Jackson notified the police station and the electric company and then returned to the lamp.
When the power to the other lamps on the street went out, Patrolman Jackson mistakenly believed that the power was out to the downed lamp. When he picked it up, he was electrocuted. Patrolman Jackson was taken to a local hospital where he died.